Tip 1: TYPOGRAPHY PAINTED ON DISTRESSED WOOD
Jul 29, 2015
Purchase of piece of wood or salvage a piece of wood for your artwork sign
1) Gently sand your wood, using 80gritt sandpaper.
2) Use a damp cloth to wipe off dust.
3) Take a 70cm clean brush, wet it with water and apply long even strokes with the water .
4) Take the same wet brush and apply a thin layer of white Plascon Polvin. We selected white however any colour can be used.
5) Leave to dry for about 20 mins. Polvin is water based and dries fast.
6) Take your photostat copy and trace your image onto your wooden board, using masking tape to keep image in position as well as to prevent the carbon paper from shifting. 6b) Remove carbon and check image.
7) Use a pencil to trace you lettering.
8) Neaten lines and touch-up image/writing if and where necessary.
9) Paint your lettering on your board in solid black Plascon Polvin or a colour if you want to create another colour scheme other than black and white.
10) Leave to dry for half an hour. Do not sand is still wet.
11) Gently sand over the entire surface with 80 or 100 grit sandpaper to create a distressed weathered effect.
Final step which is not necessary if you do not want the sign to appear weathered
12) Mix an antique wash and apply over your work (mix 50% Mud Bath Y2-E1-1 POLVIN paint with 50% water.)
13) Dip a piece of cloth into the solution and wipe over your sign washing the base colour and writing so that it looks like it has an aged patina.